I’ll bet you never thought you’d hear me say that! After all, what does porn have to do with health and/or fitness?How could something so taboo ever present a solution to a problem that affects almost 5 million middle-aged men in the U.S. alone? It all has to do with low testosterone levels, according to a recent article in Newsweek:
- The case for pornography derives from research showing that adult fare can help restore a sapped male mojo. Monkeys that see sexually active females register as much as a 400 percent jump in testosterone (nature’s own performance-enhancing drug) promoting lean muscle and quick recovery times, according to the Yerkes Center for Primate Research at Emory University.”
Ah, yes, but although we may act like our more primitive primate relatives from time to time, we are in fact human. So how does this apply to men?
- In humans, German researchers have found that just having an erection is enough to spur testosterone levels. it makes no difference whether a man is watching sex on a screen or having it in real life, his testosterone levels will go up. Just having an erection, in fact, is enough to spur production.”
So while I’m sure you already know the benefits of testosterone for men, let’s try to conceptualize just how important this particular hormone is with regards to fitness (NY Times):
Observational studies of humans show that hormone levels may fluctuate during competitions. For example, Alan Booth, a professor of sociology and human development at Penn State, has conducted several studies with Dr. Mazur, and with Dr. Granger, in which they measured the testosterone in saliva samples taken from a variety of college athletes. Their studies found that many male and female athletes’ testosterone levels increased before competitions. After the competitions were over, among men, the winners’ testosterone levels tended to rise temporarily while the losers’ testosterone tended to drop.”
That’s some pretty compelling information when it comes to testosterone and fitness. And look what the benefits testosterone medication can provide (Wiki):
- Appropriate testosterone therapy can prevent or reduce the likelihood of osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease (CVD), obesity, depression and anxiety and the statistical risk of early mortality. Low testosterone also brings with it an increased risk for the development of Alzheimer’s Disease (Pike et al., 2006, Rosario 2004).”
Imagine that by simply watching pornography a man could naturally attain the benefits listed above. Now, do you still feel the same about pornography?
Possibly Related Posts:
- Why Picking Healthier Ice Cream May Be A Bad Decision In The Long Run
- Yet Another Disease Linked With Obesity
- Reader Email: Diet Pointers For Visible Abs
- Why Does Finishing A Marathon Garnish More Praise Than A Lifelong Commitment To Fitness?
- Overall Health Or A Great Physique: The Answer May Surprise You